Do you know about the need for an emergency kit?
During an emergency you will need basic supplies. Be prepared to be self sufficient for at least 72 hours. You may have to ‘grab and go’ your emergency kit with little warning if evacuation is required, or shelter in place. Keep in mind, that power and tap water may not be available and don’t forget supplies for your pets.
Stay informed – Listen to local channels for updates. Have a portable radio with extra batteries or a crank radio in your 72-hour emergency kit.
The 72 Hour Emergency Kit Checklist below outlines the basic items every individual should have:
• Non-perishable food (ready-to eat items that do not require refrigeration)
• Manual can opener
• Bottled water (4 litres per person per day)
• Flashlight and batteries
• Radio and batteries or crank radio
• Spare batteries (for radio and flashlight)
• First-aid kit
• Candles and matches/lighter
• Extra car keys and cash
• Important papers (identification)
• Clothing and footwear
• Blankets or sleeping bag
• Toilet paper and other personal items
• Backpack/duffle bag
• Pet supplies including collar with identification
• Whistle (to attract attention, if needed)
• Playing cards/travel games